The Cleaner Cotton™ Field Program works with small and medium sized conventional cotton farmers interested in reducing chemical use, integrating more biologically based management practices, thus becoming better stewards of the land, air and water in the region. They produce a high-quality fiber while minimizing the chemical impact on our air, water and soil. Five components are key to our program:
Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
• Our growers look at their farms as a whole system.
• Biological controls serve as the first line of defense.
• Reduced-risk chemicals used to control pest outbreaks to prevent economic losses.
• SCP field scout provides free weekly monitoring of pest and beneficial insect populations.
• Monitoring helps growers understand the role of biological controls in crop protection.
• Our program combats pests with a variety of beneficial insect habitat strategies and releases of beneficial insects when needed.
• Our growers serve as mentors to their peers.
• SCP facilitates information sharing among Cleaner Cotton™ growers.
• Regular field days and mentor programs guide and educate growers making the transition to Cleaner Cotton™ growing practices.
• Field days demonstrate methods to improve soil quality and plant health and pest management techniques.
• SCP collaborates with University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management and UC Cooperation Extension to implement practical and proven sustainable farming practices.
• Growers receive direct support from UC IPM and UC Cooperative Extension Farm Advisors to help them make informed decisions and utilize the latest technology and management practices.
What is Integrated Pest Management (IPM)?
IPM follows an environmental approach by focusing on long-term prevention of pests through a combination of biological control, habitat manipulation and modification of cultural practices. Pesticides are used only after monitoring and established guidelines indicate pests exceed acceptable levels. Pest control materials are selected and applied to minimize the impact on the public health, environment and non-targeted organisms.
What is Cleaner Cotton™?
SCP growers produce Cleaner Cotton™. It is a high quality fiber grown in a more biological manner and produced without the most harmful chemicals used in conventional production. The fiber is non-genetically modified and can be either acala or pima varieties.